Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Recipe: Mexican Quiche

I have long had an affinity for quiche - all kinds of quiche! And here's the kicker - I don't like cheese & eggs together. Breakfast tacos with cheese - ick! Omelettes - forgettaboutit! But, quiche I {LoVE}! I also LOVE LOVE mexican food. Could eat it every day! So the other day I made a mexican version.

Here's the recipe:

1/2 lb hamburger meat

1/4 c. onion, diced

1 can (4oz) chopped green chilis (I don't drain, but you could)

2 Tbsp taco seasoning mix (I used Old El Paso)

1 1/2 c. grated cheese

3 eggs, beaten

1 1/2 c. half & half

1/2 tsp. salt

1/2 tsp. pepper

pinch of cayenne (optional)

1 deep dish pie crust (you could make one from scratch if you're that CraZY!) :)

Preheat oven to 400. Saute together the hamburger, chilis, onions and taco seasoning until browned. Drain, if necessary. Bake pie shell at 400 for 7 mins. While this cooks: In a separate bowl, blend together eggs, half & half, salt, pepper and cayenne. Remove pie shell from oven and reduce heat to 375. Alternate layers of meat mixture and cheese in baked pie shell. Place pie shell on a cookie sheet. Pour egg mixture over the meat & cheese layers and then bake at 375 for 45 mins. I serve with guacamole and tortilla chips or even homemade tomatilla-poblano salsa. Yumm, yum!

My kids go crazy for this stuff and my husband, who does not care for traditional quiches, is even on board! It's a keeper in our house!

Linking to: Tatertots & Jello,



Join  us Saturdays at tatertotsandjello.com for the weekend wrap up    party!

No comments:

Post a Comment